Re: Lt wt. conc topping for exterior decks

In addition, I always make sure the plywood substrate is sloped to drain. Water will always penetrate the concrete & you don't want it to pond on the w.p. membrane. But eventually the membrane will leak, so marine grade ply. & venting are highly recommended as well.
Chuck Utzman, P.E.

BCainse(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:
Gerard-
Others have weighed in on the concrete slab issue so I won't but one thing you don't mention is ventilation of the space under the slab.  I have seen numerous instances of joists completely rotten through because the joists spaces were not well ventilated. Concrete does crack allowing water penetration (even with "waterproofing").  A continuous line vent at each edge seems to work well by allowing air flow and a place for any trapped moisture from direct penetration and/or condensation to rapidly exit.

Regards,
Bill Cain, SE
Berkeley CA