RE: SLIGHTLY OT: Open-Source Building Systems Engineering Solution

Title: SLIGHTLY OT: Open-Source Building Systems Engineering Solution

From: Polhemus, Bill [mailto:bill.polhemus(--nospam--at)tyson.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2005 9:32 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: SLIGHTLY OT: Open-Source Building Systems Engineering Solution

It seems that if an open-source addition were made in terms of a counterpart to Revit Structural, you'd have a pretty good thing going.

Oh, and I should mention another, very vital point:

Typically Open Source projects, because they use open-source standard tools for development (especially the Gnu compiler set as well as OpenGL for graphics, etc.), are easily ported to multiple platforms.

For me, that would mean I could finally look forward to ditching Windows as a Desktop OS and moving totally to Linux. For Chris Wright, it would mean he could stay with Mac OSX (no matter what processor happens to be running it) for the rest of his natural life. And the rest of you could keep sending Microsoft all your money every year.

And we'd all be using essentially the same software tools.