RE: Lt wt. conc topping for exterior decks

For what it's worth, I asked our helpdesk to comment on Chuck's recommendations.  My initial thought was Marine Grade plywood may be an "over-specification" (particularly since it's under a light weight concrete).  Although some may think "Marine Grade" implies that it is automatically preservative treated, this is not true.  I then reviewed TT-008 (referenced below), and Marine grade is listed for decks where maximum smoothness is desired.  Note that preservative treatment is also recommended if deck is expected to be repeatedly exposed to moisture.  Venting the underside might help when plywood is exposed to moisture, but pressure preservative treatment should be considered.

Tom
Thomas D. Skaggs, Ph.D., P.E.
Senior Engineer
APA - The Engineered Wood Association
7011 S. 19th Street
Tacoma, WA 98466
ph: 253/565-6600
fx: 253/620-7235

### start helpdesk comments ###

Marine-grade plywood is made entirely of Douglas-fir or Western Larch. It is not treated with any chemicals to enhance its resistance to decay. If decay is a concern, Marine-grade (and other plywood grades) should be pressure-preservative treated to an appropriate standard. Reference APA Technical Note Q220 for detailed information on pressure-preservative treated plywood. Available online at: http://www.apawood.org/level_c.cfm?content=pub_searchresults&pK=q220&pT=Yes&pD=Yes&pF=Yes

APA Technical Topic TT-008 provides recommendations for wood structural panels in outdoor deck and balcony applications. You can access TT-008 online at: http://www.apawood.org/level_c.cfm?content=pub_searchresults&pK=tt-008&pT=Yes&pD=Yes&pF=Yes

If you have additional questions feel free to contact the APA Help Desk Tel: 253-620-7400 or mailto:help(--nospam--at)apawood.org