Re: SLIGHTLY OT: Open-Source Building Systems Engineering Solution

Mark-

I must disagree.  I grew up during the time when if you wanted code to
do something you pretty much had to write it yourself.

Pre CAD, pre canned FEM; when engineers could see & touch the code,
before the era of the true "black box"

Sorry if I don't have a whole lot of faith in the "professional
programmer", worked with more than a few who generated buggy code that
didn't do what I wanted it to do w/o lots of rewrites.

The "professional programmer" is the source of most modern "bloat
code" , why we need 512Mb of RAM just to turn on a PC..

""There is a significant difference between a
professional programmer (who may also be an engineer)
writing engineering software and an engineer who
writes software in addition to doing engineering.""

Agreed but IMO as we've come to depend more on the "professional
programmer"  programs have become less reliable.

Please feel free to correct me but IMO most folks writing engineering
today code have no idea how it is really used.  There some excepts but
few

cheers
Bob