Trusts & Personal Liability

List,

Have any of you formed a trust so that you could put all of your assets in it to shelter yourself from personal liability due to a potential structural engineering lawsuit sometime in the future?  The trust would also serve as an estate planning instrument.

Does a trust truly in-fact personally protect you from any such liability?

To be personally liable for any project which I have sealed for the duration of my life (and my estate afterwards) does not sit well with me.

What have others done?   A former employer put all of his assets in a trust with his wife as the only trustee.  This sounds pretty iron-clad.  Hopefully his marriage is iron-clad also.

Thank You

Dave Nuttall, P.E.
Green Bay, WI