From: Nuttall, Davin J. [mailto:dnuttall(--nospam--at)somervilleinc.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2005 7:25 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Trusts & Personal Liability

List,

Have any of you formed a trust so that you could put all of your assets in
it to shelter yourself from personal liability due to a potential structural
engineering lawsuit sometime in the future?  The trust would also serve as
an estate planning instrument.

Does a trust truly in-fact personally protect you from any such liability?

To be personally liable for any project which I have sealed for the duration
of my life (and my estate afterwards) does not sit well with me.

What have others done?   A former employer put all of his assets in a trust
with his wife as the only trustee.  This sounds pretty iron-clad.  Hopefully
his marriage is iron-clad also.

Thank You

Dave Nuttall, P.E.
Green Bay, WI