Re: Hillside foundation question.

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next] Robert, it sounds like your heart's in the right place -- you're aiming for economy, not "cheap."  Most engineers would appreciate working toward an economical foundation system through simplicity, repetitiveness, etc.

Since you have a good relationship with your engineer I suggest that you tell him or her exactly what you've told us.  Unless s/he's on a fixed fee s/he should be willing to work with you to optimize your foundation.  (If s/he's on a fixed fee don't expect lots of effort beyond a "normal" design, because why would an engineer throw away their money to save your money?)

More technically, since you have large piers try to load them up as close to their maximum as you can, by spreading them out and using as few as possible.  You're already headed in that direction, I think, but it's a good direction to go.

Do you have your driller and concrete subcontractor on board yet?  You should.  They can help you optimize your foundation by providing cost figures for various elements (piers, grade beams, etc.).  Your engineer can then base design decisions on real costs.

If you plan to just design the foundation and put it out to bid (without contractor input during the design phase) I think you're eliminating a BIG chance for savings.

Lastly, if your engineer's on a fixed fee I think you should reevaluate that.  A little investment at the design phase could save significantly more during construction.

Have you considered building a smaller house?

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA