RE: Using grating for snow drift

Title: Using grating for snow drift
Try these guys for info. http://www.crrel.usace.army.mil/
-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Griem [mailto:griem(--nospam--at)slamcoll.com]
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2005 9:21 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Using grating for snow drift

I am considering the possibility of suspending a metal grating over an existing roof to carry new snow drift loads (created by an adjacent addition) back to columns.  The concept being that heavy snows would pile up on the grate and eventually melt through to roof below.

Does anyone know of any literature which would address this concept - e.g. data re: a maximum width of perforations to "catch" snow, or has anyone successfully done something similar?  I spoke to one grating manuf (who wasn't much help) but he did suggest that this may be somewhat common in some of the mountain states.

Thanks,

Peter