Re: Dead line 6/19/05 SECB warning

David,

I believe that either you misinterpreted the article or the article is
wrong.  According to the SE Cert Board website (www.secertboard.org), the
July 2005 date is NOT a drop dead date for grandfathering.  I quote this
from the Q&A section of the site:

"3. Q: Will certification be granted by "grandfathering"?
 A: Yes. There will be no time limit to qualify but, early certification
(prior to July 2005) will greatly reduce the application fees and
continuing education reporting requirements. Refer to the Application Form
for more information."

Now, the above quote from their Q&A page is in conflict with a date on
their application material.  According to the application material, one
may apply under the Grandfather provision until 12/31/2015 (about 10 years
from now).  So, there DOES appear to be a "time limit" contrary to their
Q&A page.

Furhter more, the "final" application material outline the fee schedule.
It costs $350 for the applicaiton fee.  Beyond that, it costs $100 per
year to maintain the certification.  If you grandfather in, then doing so
AFTER the July 1, 2005 date will incur the $100 for each year that you
wait...which you would be paying for ANYWAY.  So, the point is that if you
look "forward" 3 years, you sign up now, you will have paid $350 for the
application, plus another $100 each year for a total of $650 ($100 on Jan
1 2005, 2006, and 2007).  If you wait to grandfather in three years from
now, you will pay the same amount (the application fee plus $300 for the
three year "wait").  From then on, you pay the $100 yearly fee.  So, the
end result is that you pay the same amount whether you sign up now or wait
10 years.

So, for me, I will wait and see if it has any traction.  Why should I pay
$350 for something that could die a slow death, especially since it was
created with minimal input from the WHOLE profession (note I was a member
of the NCSEA Certification committee and believe in the overall concept,
but was bothered by NCSEA's "protect my turf" mentality that keep broad
desimination of the effort by putting in progress updates and
information on the effort in magazines other than the NCSEA/CASE/SEI
magazine [aka Structure Magazine]...i.e. they wanted to restrict the
information to THEIR magazine even though what they were working
on/proposing would effect ALL structural engineers and not ALL structural
engineers where members of NCSEA member organizations, SEI, or employees
of CASE member companies).

Now, this is assuming that you have a current license in SOME state to act
in responsible charge of structural engineering projects (which would a PE
license in most states) as of 6/19/2005 (i.e. this Sunday).  So, anyone
who obtains their "first" PE or SE license after this Sunday cannot use
the Grandfathering provision.  Since you are already licensed, this does
not apply to you.  So, it is purely a matter of do you want to pay now and
"support the effort" or wait and pay later when it is much clearer if the
effort "has legs"...as long as you do it before 12/31/2015.

HTH,

Scott
Adrian, MI