RE: Dead line 6/19/05 SECB warning

Note: forwarded message attached.

http://mail.yahoo.com
--- Begin Message ---
Pardon the grammatical errors in my earlier post...

As for the SECB racket, I'm with Scott and most others
and I'm taking a "wait and see" approach as well.  At
this point in my career, it just isn't worth it
personally speaking.  Also, I do believe that there is
a better way of going about it.  Of course, there
appears to be a distinct stench of political influence
about the whole thing...

DT

--- David Topete <davetopete(--nospam--at)yahoo.com> wrote:

> Your following message has been delivered to the
> list
>   seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org at 16:43:27 on 17 Jun 2005.

> Scott,
>
> The supple-mental exams needed for CA licensure
> isn't
> all too bad...
> The seismic exam is just testing your knowledge of
> basic code items, but also force distribution due to
> rigidities.
> The surveying portion, however, was basic geometry
> and
> trigonometry.  I would suggest reviewing the
> surveying
> portion of Lindbergh's CE Review Manual because it
> should have the basic equations for guessing the
> distance away because of the earth's curvature and
> fun
> stuff like that...  It's really basic.  And, it's
> not
> too bad at all.
> I think the worst part is that you'll probably be
> one
> of the older participants in the exam room, assuming
> you'll have to fly out to sunny CA for a day.  :-D
>
> Good luck (whenever you'll need it...)
> David Topete, SE
> in sunny SF, CA
> --- Scott Maxwell <smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu> wrote:
>
> > Bill,
> >
> > Believe me, I have had MORE than enough fun taking
> > exams for my various
> > licenses.  I have now taken the NCEES Civil exam
> (8
> > hours of fun...what I
> > origianlly took to get my Michigan PE license),
> the
> > NCEES Struct I & II
> > exam (the 16 hours of fun that I took to get my SE
> > license in Illinois), and
> > the Washington Stuct III exam (another 8 hours of
> > fun to get my SE license
> > in Washington...the Washington PE license came by
> > direct reciprosity from
> > Michigan).  That does not include the original 8
> > hours of fun from taking
> > the EIT/FE exam.  And now I get an additional 5
> > hours of fun by taking the
> > seismic and surverying (huh?!?...and WHY do I need
> > to take a surveying
> > exam...I have not done/used any surveying
> > information in my carrer to
> > darte and doubt that I will in the future) exams
> in
> > California.  So, I am
> > more than ready to do without some fun!!  ;-)
> >
> > I will note that the above semi-serious tirage
> about
> > the exams is why I am
> > in general support the idea of the Structural
> > Certification idea.  It has
> > the possibility to become a "precursor" to a
> > psuedo-national structural
> > license (we will never have a true national
> > license).
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Scott
> > Adrian, MI

> [...]