RE: Deck Design for Wyoming

Gail

In my area (48” of frost) you can purchase concrete formed ‘post holders’ from Home Depot. These ‘holders’ are placed on 24 x 24 pavers directly on the ground surface. These decks are ugly to begin with unless they are skirted but come spring, most require serious realignment.

Dave

From: GSKWY(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:GSKWY(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: June 18, 2005 10:18 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Deck Design for Wyoming

I am thinking of redoing the deck on my house in Jackson Hole

Is it customary for deck supports to be founded below frost depth?

I don't think the supports for the current deck are, and there doesn't seem to have been any problems in the 15 years since the house was built.  The current deck is only about 10' x 10' though and  I am thinking of enlarging it to 15' x 30'.

It is a non-elevated deck, no more than 30 inches off grade.

Gail Kelley