RE: ASCE 7 - Building Shape and Wind Loading

The ASCE 7 standard should be applicable. Kishor Mehta has an example of a U shaped building in his ‘Guide to the use of the wind load provisions of ASCE 7-02’. He recommends using the analytical ‘all heights’ method not the ‘modified low rise’ method. Although the U shaped building is broken up into pieces for the application of pressures, he notes that the overall dimensions have a greater influence on the MWFRS pressure coefficients than the dimensions of the individual pieces so the overall dimensions are used.

Christopher Banbury, PE

President

Ark Engineering, Incorporated

PO Box 10129, Brooksville, FL 34603-0129

22 North Broad ST, Brooksville, FL 34601

352.754.2424 (o)

352.754.2412 (f)

cbanbury(--nospam--at)arkengineering.net

www.arkengineering.net