From: Daryl Richardson [mailto:h.d.richardson(--nospam--at)shaw.ca]
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2005 12:24 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Footing sliding resistance - Friction

Christopher,

        The coefficient of friction of 0.45 simply means that 45% of the
vertical load can be relied upon to resist lateral loading.  This is not
related to the width of footing, HOWEVER, the weight of footing can also be
included in the vertical load as can the weight of backfill on top of the
footing.  As a result, increasing the footing width will also increase the
weight resisting the loading.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson