Re: Deck Design for Wyoming

Gail,

When I did my little "deck" (a bit of an overstatement), I had post holes
dug to below frost level (I don't know if they used an auger or manual
post hole digger...I paid someone to do that part as I was also having a
concrete patio slab placed as well as some sidewalk concrete).  Then they
placed the concrete in the hole (WITH sonotubes if I recall correctly as I
had the concrete coming a few inches above grade).  I had a few vertical
pieces of #3 or #4 rebar that I have them place in the concrete. I
"stabbed" in some j-style anchor bolts that I bought at Home Depot (and,
yes, "stabbing" in anchor bolts is not the best way to go, but it was a
6'x6' "deck").  Then I used Simpson post-anchor "u-plates" that also had a
"lift" that raise the bearing surface of the wood way from the concrete.
All in all, was not much work (OK, so I did not do the post hole digging
nor placing on concrete...<grin>) and it resulted in a much better product
(in my opinion).

>From there, I built the "deck" myself (way over designed, of course...I am
an engnineer after all! <grin>).

HTH,