Re: Footing sliding resistance - Friction

Tahir,

    Not at all.  The point I was trying to make (which was also made by one other responder)is that when you increase the width of the footing you also increase the weight of concrete and backfill on top of the footing.  This increased weight may provide greater frictional resistance to sliding.

    Your example of car tire pressure relates to a different phenomenon.  The actual coefficient of friction between a car tire and ice, for example, may change as a function of tire pressure especially if the temperature of ice is near the melting point.

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson