To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>; <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 2:18 PM
Subject: Re: Drilled pier cracks

Rich:

It looks the bolts are failing. We've done many towers and poles and have never used hooked anchor bolts. The original calculations should provide you with the forces that the bolts are suppose to resist. I always count on the surface of the embedded nut to resist pull out, using the cone section to transfer the anchor bolt loads over to the perimeter rebar circle.

First thing, which has already been suggested, is to provide some temporary guys and THEN do the fix, which will probably be redesigning the top of the pier and providing the repair procedures. Depending on where you are, there are tower companies that can do this kind of work - such as temporarily supporting portions of the tower; concrete demo and replacement, etc.

If you are on the West Coast, Towers Structures, Inc. in Minden, Nevada, can do this.

Neil Moore, S.E.
neil moore and associates

distressed structures investigations