RE: IBC Question

It is not completely accurate to say that "WSD no longer exists for
concrete" or that a 1/3 increase no longer applies to concrete.
Although the Alternate Design Method is no longer published in the ACI
318 Appendices, Section R1.1 of ACI 318-05 includes the statement "The
Alternate Design Method of the 1999 code may be used in place of
applicable sections of this code."  And section A.2.2 of the 1999
Appendix A for the Alternate Design Method permits a 0.75 reduction
factor when considering wind or earthquake forces. Thus, WSD with a 1/3
allowable stress increase is still permitted - it is just hidden well.

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311