RE: IBC Question

You do make a good point that the commentary is not part of the legal
document, although I do think that the Commentary could be sited as a
clear indication of the code committee's "intent".  I was strongly
opposed to removal of the Alternate Design Method from ACI 318, and in
my opinion, all material codes should maintain some basic ASD
provisions, even if relatively conservative.  We should maintain the
ability to analyze service load stresses and to have a feel for the
acceptability of the calculated stresses.

As an ACI 350 committee member, I am also a strong proponent of keeping
the Alternate Design Method in that code, which is still part of the
next proposed version (due to be published for public comments soon).

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311