RE: IBC Question

"We should maintain the ability to analyze service load stresses and to have a feel for the acceptability of the calculated stresses."

I'm curious about that comment.  You could still do such a check as a servicability measure, even if it isn't included in the code, couldn't you?  Just a few days ago I did a check of cracking stress versus anticipated stresses for a small piece of precast, although it wasn't required by code.  How does having a design method in the code impact your ability to check stresses?

Paul Crocker, PE, SE