RE: IBC Question

I have two concerns:

1. If codes eliminate allowable stress values, future engineers will
lose a feel for what magnitude of allowable stresses are reasonable.

2. If allowable stress design is removed from codes, design references
will start eliminating design procedures to analyze stresses at service
loads.

Thus, while the code provisions would not prevent one from checking
service load stresses, the tools to do this will disappear over time and
one would need to search "old references" for applicable information.

I sometimes still use working stress design for concrete foundations,
since it keeps my soil pressures at service levels.  And I sometimes
like to evaluate modifications to existing structures at service loads
to have a feel for how "actual stresses" are being affected.

I have no objection to emphasizing LFRD in codes, but I don't think that
we should totally eliminate ASD as an alternate method.

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311