From: John Riley [mailto:jpriley485(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 9:47 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Footing sliding resistance - Friction

Hello Daryl:  I sometime read this list.  Need your
help in understanding your response below.  I think
the area has to do with the resistance also just as a
tire low in area (more surface area) will provide more
resistance that a pressures tire (car wt remain
the same).  What you think?
Tahir
--------------------

Static friction is not dependent on contact area.  For
soils classified as 1, 2, 3 and 4 in '97 UBC Table
18-I-A, friction is the resistance mechanism and it is
independent of the area.

For soils classified as 5 in the same table, cohesion
is the main resistence mechanism and it is dependent
on contact area.

That is my understanding.

John Riley

Discover Yahoo!