RE: SOG foundations

Please see the below link from U.S. Forest Products Laboratory which covers "Naturally Durable Species".

Looks like redwood (old growth) and cedars are the more commonly available naturally durable species.

Tom

From: GSKWY(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:GSKWY(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2005 08:11
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: SOG foundations

In a message dated 6/22/2005 1:30:14 PM Eastern Standard Time, elig(--nospam--at)psm-engineers.com writes:
a) I always call it out as 6”.  There is a blurb in the code (2304.11.2.2) that mentions this in regards to pressure treatment of sheathing and sill plates.
The Code (2304.11.2.2) requires 8 in.  unless the wood is preservative-treated or "naturally durable."  The "naturally durable" part is a little vague, or at least subject to interpretation.

But as noted,  no matter what was called out on the plans,  as soon as it is landscaped, there is often at least mulch, if not dirt almost to the top of the slab.

This is not related to my deck project .... I was just looking at some photos of a house in Texas where they had to excavate down to the anchor pockets of the post-tensioning tendons.

Gail Kelley