From: Bruce Holcomb [mailto:bholcomb(--nospam--at)brpae.com]
Sent: Friday, June 24, 2005 11:48 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: SPRINKLER LOAD

When I worked in the metal building industry, we almost always used 3 psf collateral load.  The relatively small piping for typical runs can be covered by 1 psf, but when you get to the larger trunk lines, 3 psf is sometimes not enough.  And for the larger lines, individual attachment points can have very larges applied loads (large as in several hundred pounds), so I typically assume a sprinkler load for design, then back-check the framing once the final sprinkler layout is determined.  3 psf is probably a good starting point, but you need to consider the specific situation.

BDH