Naturally Durable Wood--was SOG foundations

In a message dated 6/23/2005 8:11:35 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
GSKWY(--nospam--at)aol.com
writes:

The Code (2304.11.2.2) requires 8 in.  unless the wood is
preservative-treated or "naturally durable."  The "naturally durable"
part is a little vague,
or at least subject to  interpretation.

That wood be Redwood as a sill plate material.......costly at todays
prices.

Joe  Venuti
Johnson & Nielsen Associates
Palm Springs,  CA

Could also be cedar.  Or, arguably, white oak, locust, or walnut.  In
some locations, white oak actually can be had pretty reasonably.  The
best is probably cypress, but I don't think that's commercially
available anymore.  And, it's awfully soft--even softer than redwood.

Mike Hemstad
TKDA
St. Paul, Minnesota