Re: Naturally Durable Wood--was SOG foundations

Gail,

You may want to be specific as what you classify as "...used to any
extent".  Do you strictly mean used for stick-framing of conventional wood
construction?  Or even more specifically for sill plates of stick-framed
walls?

I say this because if you are talking in very general terms, then some
"naturally durable" woods (relatively speaking) are used quite often for
some things.  White Oak, for example, is commonly used for timber framing
(i.e. large timbers with "traditional" jointery).  We use other woods as
well (such as DougFir), but White (and Red, which is less durable than
White) Oak is primarly what we use.  We also do use "exotic" woods such
such as Western Red Cedar on occasion when a client wants it.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI