RE: Shear on rebar

I agree with James that the rebar shear strength is only part of the
design - the concrete shear capacity also needs to be considered.  ACI
318 has traditionally not addressed shear using only the rebar but
rather relies on shear friction for such connections.  But it seems
reasonable to use Appendix D for anchor bolts to estimate shear capacity
of an embedded rebar.

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO