RE: Seismic and snow

Just out of curiosity, since I'm not in snow country so this has not been an
issue in my designs.  Doesn't snow tend to accumulate unevenly on a roof, in
valleys & against parapets?  If this is the case, if an arbitrary 20% is
added to dead load for designing the lateral system, wouldn't it make sense
to assume that that represents a load that may not be available to resist
overturning over a specific lateral load resisting element?

Nels Roselund, SE
South San Gabriel, CA
njineer(--nospam--at)att.net