From: Nels Roselund <njineer(--nospam--at)att.net>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 09:33:48 -0700
Subject: RE: Structurally vs. Cosmetic Damage

Gail,

The Building Codes do not discuss damage ? they do require maintenance.  Chapter 34 of the UBC and the IBC require an existing building to be maintained in a safe and sanitary condition, and that all devices and safeguards required by the code be maintained in conformance with code edition under which they were installed.

This often becomes ambiguous when applied to residential foundations damaged by what you called ?subgrade movement?.  Is a cracked residential concrete foundation structural damage?  What if it is cracked and offset or sloped?  It is usually not related to an unsafe or unsanitary condition, and we assume concrete is cracked in our designs.  I?m generally more concerned with correcting the cause of the damage than with repairing cracks or leveling the foundation.  The uncorrected cause could eventually lead to unsightly non-structural damage to finishes and sloping floors in the living space, none of which necessarily threaten safety or sanitation, but could require costly and repeated repairs.  If the cause is corrected and the non-structural repairs mad, there may be no structural damage to repair.  But it?s a judgment call.

Nels Roselund, SE
South San Gabriel, CA