From: M. David Finley, P.E. [mailto:pec(--nospam--at)isgroup.net]
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 7:49 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Precast Lintels

For cast-in-place lintels (either U-block or formed), the vertical reinforcing at the edges of the opening can be extended directly through the lintel.

But how is the vertical reinforing normally placed when a precast lintel is used?  It seems to me that the vertical reinforcing at the edges of the opening would have to terminate at the bottom & top of the lintel and then a full height bar could be placed in the adjoining cell.  Or is the non-continuous bar even used?

Is there a better way?

M. David Finley, P.E.