From: steel-detail(--nospam--at)yahoogroups.com [mailto:steel-detail(--nospam--at)yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of cap'n ron
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 2:02 PM
To: steel-detail(--nospam--at)yahoogroups.com
Subject: Steel-Detail: Flexible wind moments - almost finished

In ASD solution to flexible wind moments - plated flange connection - there
is no calculation for compressive strength of compression flange plate.
In LRFD solution there is.

For the formula Kl/r, The length "l" is taken as 3/4 inch, the beam setback
plus 1/4 tolerance.  This is for the welded plate.

If I bolt the plate, do I increase "l" to the first bolt line? In other
words 1.5bA? Or is it the same 3/4 inch?  In the example, why is "l" set at
3/4 inch and not 1.5bA (the unrestrained portion of the plate) on the welded
plate?

Ron Yeager
rgy(--nospam--at)penn.com