From: Ken Peoples [mailto:kspeoples(--nospam--at)lvta.net]
Sent: Friday, July 01, 2005 11:53 AM
To: Seaint
Cc: Renee Robert
Subject: Large Industrial/Severe Duty Concrete Pavement

We have been asked to design a concrete pavement for a fairly large area (about 8 acres) and I want to make sure that we do it right.  The pavement will have fairly heavy equipment on it and the surface must be durable because of steel being roughly moved around on it and heavy track equipment being present.  The project is here in eastern PA where we get significant freeze thaw cycles.  I have been given the equipment loading information for a large rubber tired loader and a track-hoe.

The site is an old industrial site (Bethlehem Steel) where there is a lot of existing slag.  The slag concerns me a little and concerns the geotechnical engineer a lot.

Of course I am looking for your personal experiences with similar work and any recommendations that you may have.  A listing of any publications that you have found helpful would be appreciated too.

Some of the basic questions that are being considered are:

Is the slag a problem?  Can it be used as the subbase?  If not, can it be just covered  with a decent stone subbase?

Reinforced vs. Plain Cement Concrete vs. Fiber Mesh

Roller compacted concrete with a durable bonded topping (silica fume?)

Joint spacing

Dowel requirements at joints

Concrete mix design/strength

These are just a few of the issues - I know that the list will grow and the issue is complicated.  I was involved with a large concrete pavement design about 10 years ago for a distribution center.  I learned a lot about concrete pavements at that time, but wonder if there have been many changes in thinking since then.  I remember one expert telling us to not have any reinforcement - not even dowels at joints - but to use a fairly close joint spacing.  >From what I see on the exisiting 9" fiber reinforced pavements that they have, the joints have deteriorated quite badly and there are numerous cracks between joints.  The panels are about 16'x12'.

I am also looking for a copy of the American Concrete Pavement Association 1988 publication called "Design of Heavy Industrial Concrete Pavements"  I hear that it is only about 12 pages, so if anyone can fax it or email it to me, I would be eternally grateful.  I will purchase an official copy from the ACPA, I am just trying to get it quicker and don't want to pay $30 for overnight shipping.

Best regards,

Ken

Kenneth S. Peoples, P. E.
LVTA