RE: Design of Environmental Structures

Although I was in favor of direct sum of these seismic components in the
past, I am starting to come around to accepting the SRSS approach.  It
is true that a direct comparison of the calculated impulsive period and
convective period will often show multiple cycles occurring
simultaneously near the peaks.  However, the actual responses will not
act so uniformly during a real earthquake - peak values will occur more
randomly.  I have recently read about time history analyses of tanks
that have compared the actual peak values and timeline occurrences of
the impulsive and convective components - it was found that the peak
values of these components generally occur at noticeably different
times.  Of course there can be no guarantee that the peaks will not
occur simultaneously during a future earthquake, but the probability is
considered to be low.

The part that still bothers me a little is that when a relatively low
convective force is combined with a much larger impulsive force, the
effect of the convective force is mostly negated (i.e. when a small
value is combined by SRSS with a much larger value, the resultant
remains relatively close to the larger value).  But of course, if the
convective force is a small percentage of the impulsive force, it
wouldn't have as much effect on the design anyway.

Thus, unless a good argument can be made that using SRSS is too
unconservative, we will likely continue to use that methodology.  (Note
that other reference standards, such as by AWWA, also appear to be
adopting the SRSS methodology.)

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO