RE: OT - Router vs Ethernet Hub

Title: Message
You want a router. It will share the Internet connection to all of the computers. It will also provide a NAT server that will help protect the computers from attack over the Internet. If you get a router with a built in switch, you won't need the hub.
-----Original Message-----
From: M. David Finley, P.E. [mailto:pec(--nospam--at)isgroup.net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 7:52 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: OT - Router vs Ethernet Hub

The Situation:  My office computers are currently connected using an ethernet hub.  I am planning on changing to cable internet access.  I want all of the computers to be able to access the internet through the cable connection.

The Question:  Can the cable modem connect to the ethernet hub or directly to one of the computers?  Or do I need to have a router in addition to (or instead of?) the ethernet hub?

Thanks,

M. David Finley, P.E.