Re: OT - Router vs Ethernet Hub

M. David Finley, P.E. wrote:
The Situation:  My office computers are currently connected using an ethernet hub.  I am planning on changing to cable internet access.  I want all of the computers to be able to access the internet through the cable connection.

The Question:  Can the cable modem connect to the ethernet hub or directly to one of the computers?  Or do I need to have a router in addition to (or instead of?) the ethernet hub?

Thanks,

M. David Finley, P.E.

You'll want a router to bridge between the "modem" and your network, as well as provide rudimentary firewall services.  You generally connect the modem to the WAN port on the router, then any LAN network port on the router to your existing hub and the whole system will work.  Just about any "DSL/Cable" router will work. I prefer netgear, but haven't had much problems with the linksys one at the office.

Connecting the hub to the modem will have the effect of each computer seeing the internet "bare" as well as possibly causing some issues with your internet provider if they're not expecting to see multiple computers at your modem.