Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Lean concrete as structural fill?

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
We are working with a contractor who has asked to use
lean concrete as structural fill under footings and
slabs for a single story building.  Through google
searches, I've come up with matches to lean concrete,
cement bound material (CBM) and flowable backfill. 
Are these all essentially the same product?  They
don't appear to be well defined in terms of material
properties, though I found one reference to 500psi
minimum strength.  The flowable fill I have worked
with in the past was 700psi. Also, these products are
only mentioned in the context as being used for
roadway sub-bases.  I'm guessing they are not commonly
used in building construction because they are
relatively costly compared to gravel backfills.

By comparison to regular gravels, this seems very
acceptable as structural fill, but I'm looking for a
second opinion.  And is there an appropriate spec or
even a product name to call this material for building

Jim Wilson, PE
Stroudbsurg, PA

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at:
*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers 
*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To 
*   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you 
*   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted 
*   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web 
*   site at: 
******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********