From: Sherman, William <ShermanWC(--nospam--at)cdm.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 10:03:56 -0400
Subject: RE: Post-Tensioning Repair

Ok, since you "invited criticism", I'll offer some "constructive criticism" of your article.  These are not major problems but would have made for easier reading.

1. The article states that it "provides a brief overview of unbonded post-tensioning repair".  But the next two sections of the article do not talk about repair - they discuss typical detailing of new designs.  It would have been clearer if these sections had been introduced as "before I discuss repair, I would like to review typical detailing of unbonded anchors ...".

2. Under "Structural Systems Used in Post-Tensioning" you briefly mention "banded systems".  I would have liked to see a little more description of what a "banded system" is.

3. Under "Structural Systems Used in Post-Tensioning" you state "If the column spacing required for the office or residential floors does not allow an efficient parking layout, ...".  On first reading, this sounded like people are parking cars in their office or residence!

4. You note that ACI 423.6 only addresses protection for splice chucks, not for stressing couplers - but the first sentence of that section states that "ACI 423.6 requires that couplers be protected ...".  How is a "stressing coupler" not a "coupler"?
William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311