RE: Lean concrete as structural fill?

ACI 116R, Cement and Concrete Terminology, defines "lean concrete" as
"concrete of low cement content" and defines "controlled low strength
materials" as "materials that result in a compressive strength of 1200
psi or less".  As others have noted, "controlled low strength material"
seems to be the preferred term for what is also called "flowable fill".

I tend to think of lean concrete as concrete with a 28-day compressive
strength of less than 3000 psi but probably greater than 1200 psi, i.e.
just a relatively weak concrete due to the low cement content.  I would
expect "lean concrete" to have a "normal" slump range vs flowable fill.
I have used flowable fill/ controlled low strength material as fill
material, with admixtures to improve flowability and resulting in the
300 psi compressive strength range.

Either can be used, depending upon your strength and flow expectations.

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311