RE: Flash Fill?

Flash Fill vs Flowable Fill:

Does anyone has experience with "Flash Fill"  - similar to flowable fill
but made with Class C fly ash and no cement content?  I just had this
proposed for a fill material today, but I don't have experience with
such a mix without cement.  Class C fly ash does have some cementitious
properties of its own (unlike Class F fly ash),  but "no cement content"
makes me nervous.

RE: Lean Concrete

Kris P. Hamilton wrote: "2500 PSI as lean concrete?   I'm only 58, and I
still remember when F'c = 2500 psi was the standard mix, 3000 was for
significant horizontal spans, and 4000 was extra-high strength!"

My response: I'm not that surprised that someone has questioned my
limits for lean concrete.  I am only 5 years younger than you, but I
have never used anything less than 3000 psi compressive strength as
"structural" concrete.  However, it is true that I have only worked on
public works projects - power plants and treatment plants - so the
concrete has been specified for durability and impermeability.  Since
"lean concrete" is "low cement content concrete", I think of lean
concrete as concrete with less strength than "structural" concrete.

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311