Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Flash Fill?

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
A quick google search indicated that flash fill was a
propriatary product and is likely the same thing as
Controlled Low Strength Material (CLSM).  Flash fill
appears to have a maximum strength of 150 psi.  ACI
has a publication on the use of CLSM.

While I think that CLSM is an interesting product I
believe that the use of CLSM and flowable fill
ultimately should be the decision of the Geotechnical
Engineer.  They are just a means to fill in where
there is over excavation.  In addition the use of
these products may impact the drainage of the soil and
may create a hard point resulting in cracks if it
rests on a hard layer.  Too often Architects and
Contractors believe that if it has to do with cement
that it is the responsibility of the structural

Mark Gilligan

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at:
*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers 
*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To 
*   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you 
*   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted 
*   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web 
*   site at: 
******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********