RE: Flash Fill?

A quick google search indicated that flash fill was a
propriatary product and is likely the same thing as
Controlled Low Strength Material (CLSM).  Flash fill
appears to have a maximum strength of 150 psi.  ACI
has a publication on the use of CLSM.

While I think that CLSM is an interesting product I
believe that the use of CLSM and flowable fill
ultimately should be the decision of the Geotechnical
Engineer.  They are just a means to fill in where
there is over excavation.  In addition the use of
these products may impact the drainage of the soil and
may create a hard point resulting in cracks if it
rests on a hard layer.  Too often Architects and
Contractors believe that if it has to do with cement
that it is the responsibility of the structural
engineer.

Mark Gilligan