RE: CMU Stair/Elevator Shaft

Another thought.....if the stairs is steel, make sure that you have enough masonry behind the steel member at the bearing location to meet the fire rating.

Jim K.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Wilson [mailto:wilsonengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, July 11, 2005 10:44 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: CMU Stair/Elevator Shaft

It's an interior wall with floor to floor heights of
only 12'-10".  I do intend to connect it to the floors
all around at all levels.

I haven't worked with this architect before, but they
say they have always used 12" and that other engineers
have asked for 12".  It made me second guess myself
for a minute.  I offered to make it smaller to save
some space as well as material and labor cost.  They
didn't bite.

Jim

--- "Kestner, James W." <jkestner(--nospam--at)somervilleinc.com>