From: John Riley [mailto:jpriley485(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, July 11, 2005 13:08
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Form release oil

Tom,

Thanks for responding.  Is WD40 diesel fuel?  I figured it was just a
light oil mixed with a solvent.
Anyway, we used plain ol' 10W30 motor oil on the forms, they came off
very nicely.

The concrete pour was a disaster!  The area was 8'x40', by the time we
finished pouring, the concrete had set up on the far end.  I tried to
bull float it, but it just scraped along the top without indentation.
 Within 2 hours of the start of pouring, a 4 legged chair + 230 lb man
(OK, 250 lb, no reason to lie to
you) wouldn't leave a mark.  Got the worst of the ridges knocked down
with hoes and shovels.  Next day applied muratic acid, which exposed the
aggregate fairly well.

Next time I'll add water until we're working with soup.

JPRiley

--- Tom Skaggs <tom.skaggs(--nospam--at)apawood.org> wrote:

John,
Sorry I missed your pour, but for what it's worth:
I traded e-mails with one of our members who specializes in plywood
concrete form.  According to him, they DO NOT recommend using Diesel as
a release agent.  The quality of the finish is apparently compromised
and VOC laws "do not allow it's use anymore" (I've not confirmed the
law..).  His perspective is maintaining a forming product for multiple
pours, even more if the concrete form has an HDO overlay.  They
recommend using Nox-crete, and in fact apply Nox-crete at the plywood
plant.  Contact
is: 1-800-Nox-crete for your local distributor.  I'm sure there other
release agents that work well to, so I'm not endorsing Nox-crete...

Given the scope of your project, I'd think Nox-crete might not be
necessary.  But as a general release agent, some companies might frown
on using Diesel on their products.

Tom