From: Harris, Brian [mailto:Harris.B(--nospam--at)portseattle.org]
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 9:59 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Use Sheetpiles for Shearwall

Sheet pile walls are commonly used as shearwalls in some types of
waterfront construction, like a wharf.  However, the sheet pile (unlike
your case?) is capped with (embedded in) a large pilecap/bulkhead, on
the order of 5' to 8' square on some of our projects, with the dock
structure out in front of this.  This cap prevents slippage at the
interlocks.

I have personally not designed one as a shearwall, so I can't get into
too much detail.  But my understanding is that the geotechnical engineer
gives us design criteria for lateral resistance, and the failure mode is
often (usually?) soil shear failure which happens long before the steel
piling itself fails.  It looks like you may have guessed this.  Of
course this depends on what kind of soils you're in.

Brian J. Harris, P.E.
harris.b(--nospam--at)portseattle.org