RE: 3/4" and 1 1/8" Plywood Shear Value (diaphragm)?

Diaphragm and shear wall tables list panel thickness as "minimum nominal
panel thickness".  So, as long as minimum fastener penetration is met,
the design values for 1-1/8 panels is identical to 15/32" Str. I panels
or 19/32" Sheathing panel.  Another way or reading the table is "panel
thickness is XX thickness and thicker such that minimum fastener
penetration is met".

The theory behind this is that nails are controlling the strength of
these assemblies.  And even if panels were thicker the nails would still
limit the capacity.

Tom

Thomas D. Skaggs, Ph.D., P.E.
Senior Engineer