To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 9:52 AM
Subject: Seismic Force Resisting Systems

List,
I have a small one story reinforced masonry bearing wall building that I've been asked to review. Two walls bear the precast roof; the other two don't. Can someone please clarify for me what the difference is between a Bearing Wall System and a Building Frame System? In IBC Table 1617.6, both of these categories list Reinforced Concrete Shear Walls (with different R values). I could guess that the two walls bearing the roof would be the former and the two non-bearing walls would be the latter; but I'd appreciate someone confirming that for me.

Thanks,
Mike

Michael Hemstad, P.E.
Senior Registered Engineer
Facilities Division
phone: 651/292-4468
fax: 651/292-0083
e-mail: hemstad.ml(--nospam--at)tkda.com

TKDA
1500 Piper Jaffray Plaza
444 Cedar Street
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55101-2140