Re: Canadian license "plan stamping" rules

> From: Scott Maxwell <smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu>
>
> A question to our friends north of the border (or technically south of
> the border in the Detroit area...<grin>)...I am curious...do Canadian

Most of Canada is South of some portion of Alaska and our 11th province
(Florida) is South of the entire continental US!

> license (i.e. PEng) provisions have rules/requirements on "plan stamping"
> or "direct supervision" like most (if not all) US jurisdictions have?  Kid
> of wondering how much like PE licenses PEng licenses are or are not.

As in the US, we have a licensing body for each of the 10 provinces (I'm
not clear on the current status in the 3 Territories as they have
typically accepted provincial registration). However, there are some
significant differences to the US.

Our licensing bodies are created by Act of Provincial
Parliaments/Assemblies. The engineering profession is self-governing by
non-government associations, run by the engineer members, supported by
member dues.

We do not interpret "plan stamping" as strictly as you folks seem to do
in the US (e.g. being in the same office, etc.). However, regardless of
the process and procedures, the engineer who seals the drawings is
ultimately responsible. The engineer must exercise due diligence to
ensure that the work is proper. Otherwise, a peer "court" can levy
penalties.

We do not have an industrial exemption, as in the US. Theoretically, all
people practising engineering must be licensed.

--
R. Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International