From: Michael L. Hemstad [mailto:hemstad.ml(--nospam--at)tkda.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2005 9:57 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Masonry shear walls

List,
IBC 2000, in 2106.1.2.4, says "When calculating shear or diagonal
tension stresses, shear walls that resist seismic forces in Seismic
Design Category D, E, or F shall be designed to resist 1.5 times the
forces required by Chapter 16."

I had taken that to mean 1.5 times the seismic force, or 1.0 times wind,
whichever governed.  After al, being in SDC 'D' doesn't change how the
wall is loaded by wind.  But, upon re-reading, it seems to say pretty
clearly 1.5 times ANY force from Chapter 16.  Any help or advice on this
interpretation?

As I'm in Digest mode, I'd appreciate a direct response.

Thanks.

Michael Hemstad, P.E.
TKDA
Saint Paul, Minnesota