Re: Sequence of girt installation

Jim/Rich:

In combination with what Rich was thinking (i.e. relying on the sag rods),
you could still attach the steel channel to the columns with by way of
bolted connections with vertical slots.  If the channel is "alone" and
oriented so that strong direction is taking horizontal wind load, then the
vertical "direction" is the weak direction and you are likely not planning
on taking gravity load in that connection any way.  With a slotted
connection, it could have enough "play" in the vetical slots to get the
channel in about the right position, but leave the bolts untightened until
the CMU wall and any attachment to the channel from the wall is complete.

Now, the channel could be "in the way" if the CMU wall needs vertical
reinforcement, depending on how the mason wants to construction that wall
(i.e. would the channel on slotted connections allow enough movement to
allow grouting of top couse and/or cells with bars; and would it allow
enough movement to install the vertical bars themself, depending on
sequence).

If you use sag rods on the channel, you will also have to figure out how
the ends of the sag rods (i.e. tend nuts and end of rod that will be below
the bottom of the channel) will "interface" with the CMU.

Another thought is to ask a contractor that does this type of work.  I
would find it hard to believe that someone has not encountered such an
issue before...so why not ask a "means and method" person (aka contractor)
so you don't have to "reinvent the wheel", so to speak.

Scott
Adrian, MI