Re: Canadian license "plan stamping" rules

Fellow Engineers,

Whether it's in Canada or in the U.S.A. this appears to come down to one question, "What constitutes direct supervision?"

As an example for discussion purposes, consider the following three (or maybe it's five; I never could count properly late at night anyway) scenarios:

1. On an architectural project I take the architect's drawings, prepare a structural layout, complete the design and have an employee draftsman compete the drawings which I review and stamp.

1a. The same as Item 1 except the draftsman is an independent contract draftsman, a subcontractor if you like.

2. I assign the draftsman (as an employee or as an independent subcontractor) to take the architect's drawings, prepare a structural layout for me to complete the design, make any adjustments necessary, have the draftsman complete the drawings which I review and stamp.

3. The same as Item 2 except the draftsman is now contracted by the architect.

3a. The same as Item 3 except the draftsman is now a direct employee of the architect. Or, for that matter, he's working for the owner or for one of the project contractors.

In my mind the above scenarios are all essentially the same. The same three people are performing roughly the same tasks in all cases. There is only a slight difference between Items 1&1a, and the other Items in the level of responsibility (Here I'm talking seniority or responsibility to me for doing the work; not financial responsibility to third parties under contract law for the correctness of the work) that I assign to the draftsman who is working under my general supervision. It is generally regarded as good business practice to have employees working at the highest level of responsibility consistent with their abilities.

In my opinion the most important thing (or, to paraphrase Vince Lombardi, the only important thing) is not who was holding the pencil when it was making contact with the paper, but that the E.O.R. can honestly confirm that the information on the drawing is completely correct and that (s)he stands behind the design.

       I'm looking forward to further discussion on this topic.

Best regards,

H. Daryl Richardson

----- Original Message ----- From: "Baron, Darryl (DR)" <DRBARON(--nospam--at)dow.com>