RE:Sequence of girt instalation

From: "Rich Lewis" <seaint03(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Sequence of girt instalation

------=_NextPart_000_0000_01C58860.9C17F1A0

I am detailing a pre-engineered metal building that has an 8" CMU wall to
+12'-8" AFF, then metal panel wall.  The wall bypasses the rigid frames.  I
have a steel channel at the top of the wall where the CMU transitions to
steel panel.  I was wondering about the best way to detail this, considering
timing of construction.

If I assume all the steel members and girts will be erected first, then the
masonry constructed, I see difficulty getting the last course of masonry
installed.  I would like to grout the top course solid and anchor it to the
steel channel.  If I assume the rigid frames go up first, and then the
masonry wall, and then the wall girts, the steel erector must come out to
the site twice, which is not cost effective.  If the masonry goes up first
it is in the way of the steel erector, plus I want to tie the wall to the
columns with ties.

A solution I can think of is to not connect the top channel girt to the
columns, but let it hang in place with threaded sag rods.  After the masonry
is installed the girt can be lowered and attached to the columns.

Any other suggestions on how to sequence this?

Thanks.

Rich
--
In the past when we had this condition we called for 3" diameter holes in the web of the channel @ 48" o.c. in order to pour grout through.  Of course the channel must be checked for this loss of section.  Since then we have avoided this type of connection by using a channel narrower than the block whenever possible.

Adam Vakiener