Re: single-bolt steel connections

> From: "Bruce Holcomb" <bholcomb(--nospam--at)brpae.com>

> Is there a place in the IBC code or AISC spec that specifically does NOT
> allow a connection with only one bolt?  We are being asked to change a
> welded connection detail to a bolted connection with one bolt.  In this
> specific case, the bolt is in tension.

For a single-bolt member, we are obviously discussing a "small" member
with "small" forces. There may be more to consider in the connection
design.

Will the bolting be done in the field or at the shop? What is the size
and purpose of the connected member? How are the forces transferred in
the bolted connection vs. the welded connection? Is there a mirror
member using the same bolt? Would 2 smaller bolts satisfy the
objections?

You may need the second bolt to ensure proper end restraint per
assumptions and stability requirements. The welded detail may have
provided this, inherently.

There are many examples of minor members being single-bolted.

--
R. Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International